Thursday, April 7, 2016

Why Sports > Fine Arts?

Today there was a press conference for the new hockey complex. Yay hockey for trine, it'll bring more money and students to the school. Then I found out where it's going to be located- right on the marching band practice field. Construction is supposed to start no later than June 1, which means we now have no place to practice.

Can't practice on the football field for obvious reasons. Same with the soccer field and practice field. Which leaves no grassy area for us to practice. Just another example of sports being favored over the fine arts.

Why is that? When did sports become more necessary than fine arts? Since always I suppose. I've never understood why. Yes I know sports bring a lot of money to the school, and some people move on into professional sports. Yet, so many more people make careers from the fine arts than from sports.

I will never understand why sports are so much cooler than the fine arts. The reason has evaded me for 19 years, and will continue to for a long time. Fine arts have helped so many people, and will continue to be an outlet for the outcast, those not gifted with sports skills. Fine arts accepts anyone willing to try, while sports cuts so many all the time.

Why Sports > Fine Arts?

Is there really an answer?

3 comments:

  1. I like fine arts too Claire. But I noticed more people prefer sports.. I don't know why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely. Arts over sports any day for me.

    ReplyDelete