Thursday, January 28, 2016

Formal Recruitment

     Tonight was the first night of formal recruitment for 2016, which made me think of when I went through formal last spring. Formal was a very scary process, yet I am so happy I went through it. In case you don't know what formal is, it's about a week process of meeting all the different sororities on campus, and learning about them to see if you fit well with any of them. I signed up kind of on a whim, because I was a commuter last year and didn't really know anyone on campus other than some people I met in band and in my classes. I wanted to experience more of college life, and so I signed up.
     Through formal, you meet so many people you never would have otherwise, and learn a little about who they are and why they chose their sorority. It was really cool to see girls from all areas, different backgrounds, finding a commonality in one group and becoming incredibly close. The relationships that sisters form is quite unlike any other. Having sisters behind you is comforting; knowing you always have someone to talk to about whatever is going on in your life, whether it be good or bad.
     Learning a little about each of the six sororities on campus was really nice, because until you talk to the sisters from each group you really can't understand who they are and what they stand for. Even meeting them and talking to them for the time that I had, I still can't tell you who all these fantastic women are, but I can tell you that they have found everlasting friendships within their sororities, just as I have. That doesn't mean we don't have our fair share of disagreements, because we really do. When life kicks you down and you just need someone to be there for you, you always have your sisters. No matter what, they're there for you through everything and anything.
     Through formal, I learned what groups were for me, and what ones weren't. In the end you can only choose one, and I found one that accepted me for who I am; nothing more, nothing less. I have made friendships with the girls in my sorority that I know I will cherish and keep for the rest of my life. The sisters have truly become my sisters; I trust them with everything because I know they've got my back. The sisters of Phi Sigma accepted me one year ago, and I couldn't be more thankful. They are my sisters, my family, my friends.

Once a Phi Sigma
Always a Phi Sigma

No comments:

Post a Comment